As of Thursday afternoon, the city of South San Francisco had received 13applications for appointment to the open City Council seat. Interested individuals have until Dec. 13 to apply.
The current applicants are:
- John Prouty, South San Francisco Planning Commissioner
- Mark Nagales, South San Francisco Parks & Recreation Commissioner
- Rhonda Ceccato, director of a local non-profit and member of the San Mateo County Board of Education
- Pradeep Gupta, South San Francisco Planning Commissioner
- John Poletti, sales agent at Poletti Realty in South San Francisco
- Rick Ochsenhirt, South San Francisco Planning Commissioner
- Naksin Shah
- Arnel Junio
- Carlos Martin, South San Francisco Planning Commissioner
- Katherine Mac Kay Nelson
- William Lock
- Michael Lew
- Alan Wong
Former City Councilmember Kevin Mullin recently vacated his seat after being elected to the State Assembly in the general election. Mullin's term would have ended in Nov. 2015.
The current council can either appoint a replacement to serve the remainder of the term; appoint an interim replacement to fill the seat until the next election; or leave the position vacant and immediately call for a special election. Though the city is currently accepting applications, council still has not decided whether to appoint or hold a special election.
Below is the city's formal solicitation for applications, which are due Dec. 13:
The City Council of the City of South San Francisco is soliciting interest in the elected office of City Councilmember. At present, the City Council has not made a determination as to whether it will appoint a representative and/or call a special election to fill the position.
Pursuant to the South San Francisco Municipal Code, a person must be 18 years of age and a registered voter of the City of South San Francisco at the time of appointment.
If interested in potential appointment, please submit your application and qualifications to the Office of the City Clerk, 400 Grand Avenue, South San Francisco, by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 13, 2012. Applications are available by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 650-877-8518 or by download here. Applications may be submitted in any of the following ways:
1) in person at the City Clerk’s Office;
2) by U.S. Mail to Krista Martinelli, Office of the City Clerk, City of South San Francisco, P.O. Box 711, South San Francisco, CA 94080;
3. by facsimile to (650) 829-6641; or
4) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City Clerk’s Office will confirm receipt of all applications upon arrival in the Office. Please note: postmarks will not be counted as satisfaction of the deadline.
At its Regular Meeting of December 12, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at the Municipal Services Building located at 33 Arroyo Drive in South San Francisco, the City Council will hear an update on the status of applications for appointment to the vacant City Council seat. At that meeting, the City Council may schedule a meeting or meetings to consider and interview applicants for appointment and/or set a special election. If the Council decides to consider applicants for appointment, it is expected that the Special Meeting(s) for interview would take place during the week of December 16, 2012.
Correction: A previous version of this story stated that the application deadline was Dec. 16, when it is actually Dec. 13.